Do you always feel insecure while transacting or shopping online due to online frauds? Are you aware of the precautions you must take before you step into the online world?
Online frauds happening Worldwide have emerged due to the advancement in technology. Scamming someone online is happening continually these days. So, you must know the Tips On How To Protect Yourself From Online Fraud.
Today in this article, we will tell you about various precautions and tips you must take before making your online transactions. If you get scammed, you need not worry; we are here to help you out in every possible way.
What are Online Scams?
Internet scams are nothing but Just about stealing someone’s identity, details, and money using a bogus website or advanced software to deceive the person.
Online scams have a great impact on all people, irrespective of their age and place. Due to continuous technological changes and the need to adapt, those changes have given the scammers scope.
You can be scammed while shopping, booking tickets, undertaking bank transfers, paying your expenses and bills, etc. So, it becomes important to take every necessary step and care while you undergo such actions.
How are you exposed to Online Scammers?
Scammers are so talented and informative that they have millions of ways to throw dust in your eyes in seconds. Following are the few ways scammers get your information:
- Contests: Online contests are the gateways to online scammers. Marketers collect your information like age, name address and try to know your preferences and beliefs. This way, you can turn into a target to them.
- Surveys: Surveys can also take you into danger as it asks you about your personal information. This information again sold to third parties, which may take advantage out of it.
- Social media: Social media platforms can also be a way to scam you. Then you keep updating your personal information and personal events on your social media account; scammers can make you, their target.
- Using Data: Various public records are available at the city or state level, including your property data, census data, etc. Private companies may fetch out this data and sell it to others.
What are different kinds of Scams?
Following are the different types of scams:
- Online Shopping Scam: Sometimes, when a consumer tries to purchase through an E-Commerce site, he may not get his exact order. When he tries to reach the website, he may not get any reply and refund.
- Data Breaches: Sometimes, your private and personal details like financial data may get revealed by an unauthorized party. Unscrupulous people can use it to conduct their wrong practices.
- Credit Card Frauds: Fraudsters may illegally get your debit or credit card information and can use it to withdraw the amount.
- Phishing: In this, the con artist, using counterfeit websites or emails may steal your personal and financial information. You would feel as if you were dealing with some legal entity.
What are the Tips On How To Protect Yourself From Online Fraud?
Though there is no such specific method to protect yourself but listed below are few measures you can take before stepping into the online world:
- Change your passwords: You should change your passwords frequently, keeping in mind not using the same password for your emails as you did for other websites. While setting up your password, use special characters capital letters to make it more strong and secure.
- Use encrypted websites: Focus on using encrypted websites that start with “https.” This won’t provide you with a guarantee, but will assure you that you are more secure.
- Please do not email your account number and signatures: Make it a point never to send your account number or signatures through emails. Instead, go for a call if you want to share it with someone.
- Never open email links and attachments from unknown senders: Visiting unknown links can welcome viruses in your computer, especially bank links.
- Go for two-factor authentication: You can opt for two-factor authentication, including password and special code texted to your mobile. It sounds more secure and protective.
Where can you report Online Scams?
If you reckon about being scammed, you should instantly report to the authorities. Following are the few places where you can report:
- For Phishing Scams: You need to forward the text to the authorities, which tracks uninvited emails. You can also report the scam to the nearest trade commission of your state.
- For Internet Scams: You have to file your complaint to the Internet Crime Complaint Centre. The experts will investigate the scam and will keep you updated about the progress and status.
- For Online Shopping Scams: You can register your complaint to the consumer court if you have faced any online shopping scam.
Filing complaints against these scams can help you recover your losses. It will also assist the authorities in investigating what techniques the scammers use to rob you to stop them before happening.
Due to pandemics, people have jumped to online platforms rather than going offline for all their needs. This has also given emergence to online scammers. Every day millions of reports are registered to complain about how scammers have robbed them.
If online platforms are boon to society, it also emerges severe threats. It is in your hands how you utilize the technology. We would recommend you to be aware of inattentive while you transact online. And we are always there to assist you.
We hope by now, you might be clear with the Tips On How To Protect Yourself From Online Fraud. We would say that precautions are better than cure.
Have you ever scammed online? If yes, please share how you dealt with it in the comments section below to help others.